System Engineer Level 3
- Candidate will work as a System Engineer as part of a development team which utilizes a diverse dynamic workforce. Work with team lead to understand tasking and deliver system to required specifications. Work with stakeholders to understand and implement system components. Participate as a member of an Agile team.
- Manages system requirements and derived requirements to ensure the delivery of production systems that are compatible with the defined system architecture(s) – Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF), Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), etc.
- Contributes to the development of sections of systems engineering documentation such as System Engineering Plans, Initial Capabilities Documents, Requirements specifications, and Interface Control Documents
- Coordinates the resolution of action items from Configuration Control Board (CCB) meetings, design reviews, program reviews, and test reviews that require cross-discipline coordination
- Supports the development and review of Joint Capability Integration Development System (JCIDS) documents (i.e., Initial Capability Document, Capabilities Description Document, IA Strategy)
- Develops system design alternatives that consider life cycle cost, reuse, complexity, risk, system expansion, and growth
- As a participant within an Analysis of Alternatives (AoA) effort, recommends a preferred solution based on selection criteria adjusted for reasonableness and validity of assumptions, technology limitations, environmental impact, and life-cycle costs
- Ensures effective, periodic review and control of the evolving configuration of a system, both hardware and software components and associated documentation, during the life of the system
- Maintains knowledge of current and evolving agency, national, and international standards applicable to the system development of interest. Applies and enforces use of suitable standards to ensure consistency and interoperability of developer hardware and software
- Develops alternative courses of action, workarounds, and fall-back positions with a recommended course of action for each risk, and monitor and re-evaluate risks at appropriate milestones. Monitors risks using earned value management (EVM) data
- Uses validated models, simulations, and prototyping to mitigate risk and reduce cost of system development
- Fully defines interfaces in terms of origination, destination, stimulus, and data characteristics for software; and electrical and mechanical characteristics for hardware
- Improves standard integration strategies based upon rationale for previous decisions that resulted in improved integration performance
- Conducts and/or approves end-to-end system trade analyses to optimize system operations over its life-cycle through the proper balance of non-functional system performance areas
- Develops operational view, technical standards view, and system and services view for architectures using applicable DoDAF standards
- Provides technical direction for the development, engineering, interfacing, integration, and testing of all components of complex hardware/software systems to include requirements elicitation, analysis and functional allocation, conducting systems requirements reviews, developing concepts of operation and interface standards, developing system architectures, and performing technical/non¿ technical assessment and management as well as end-to-end flow analysis
Technical Skills Required:
- Experience working closely with Java software development team.
- Ability to objectively assess possible architectural limitations or shortcomings in such areas as scaling, speed, and throughput
- Solid understanding of applicable commercial technologies and commercial best practices, as they relate to the specific demands of SIGINT
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in planning, maintaining, and supporting production applications environments that are built using JAVA, REST services, Spring/SpringBoot
- Experience with, Jenkins, Gradle, Maven and/or Git.
- Experience with Machin Shop
- Requires excellent communications skills within a fast pace collaborative support environment
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Must be able to take the initiative, tackle implementation tasks, and solve problems with minimal guidance, but still be a “team player”, meaning, be able to accept direction and decisions from the Lead SWE and the Lead SE
- Background in SIGINT, Cyber and/or IA
- Familiarity with container technology (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos, etc)
- Familiarity with Microservice architectures
- Familiarity with Twelve-Factor App methodologies for building software
- Background in use of workflow orchestrators or rules processing engines such DROOL, Camunda, jBPM, or Activiti is a strong plus
- Background in use of serialized object such as Avro
- Familiarity with JMS (ActiveMQ) topics and queues
- Exposure to Agile methodology a plus
Minimum Experience Required:
- Minimum 20 years’ in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity as a System Engineer supporting software architecture development, requirements analysis, process execution and evaluation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. Four (4) years of additional software engineering experience on projects with similar software processes may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph Required