Software Engineer Level 2 (Unix, Bash, Python)
- The Software Engineer designs, develops, tests, deploys, documents, maintains, and enhances complex and diverse software systems based upon documented requirements. These systems might include, but are not limited to, processing intensive analytics, novel algorithm development, manipulation of extremely large data sets, real-time systems, business management information systems, and systems which incorporate data repositories, data transport services, and application and systems development and monitoring.
- Works individually or as part of a team.
- Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results.
- Resolves software problem reports.
- Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment.
- Provides specific input to the software components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Open Source Software (OSS) and/or Commercial OffThe-Shelf (COTS) Government Off-The-Shelf (GOTS) software in place of new development, and requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual software components.
- Experience developing in Unix. Ability to perform shell scripting.
- Working knowledge of Configuration Management (CM) tools and Web Services implementation.
- Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements.
- Debug existing software and correct defects.
- Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features.
- Write or review software and system documentation.
- Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
- Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories.
- Has experience with agile development processes.
- Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
- Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Design and development of relational and non-relational database applications.
- Use of orchestration frameworks such as Spring and Kafka.
- Familiarization with queue management systems
- Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards.
- Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
- Develop software solutions by analyzing system perfonnance standards and conferring with users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
- Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance
- Design, develop, and modify software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions
- Java development using the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
- Development of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications
- Experience using collaboration and software development tools (ie. Atlassian).
- Software development using continuous integration practices
- Experience with container technologies (ie. Docker).
- Unix shell scripting
- Development of event driven or data driven analytics
- All the capabilities of a Level 1 SWE.
- Development of cloud-based solutions and technologies.
- Design or implement complex algorithms requiring adherence to strict timing, system resource, or interface constraints. Perform quality control on team products.
- Recommend and implement suggestions for improving documentation and software development process standards.
- Oversee one or more software development teams and ensure the work is completed in accordance with the constraints of the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Confer with system engineers and hardware engineers to derive software requirements and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements, and interfaces.
- Coordinate software installation on a system and monitor performance to ensure operational specifications are met.
Technical Skills Required:
- Experience using the Unix command line
- Experience writing scripts using Bash/Python
- Software development experience using Java/Groovy in a Unix environment
- Familiar with the Atlassian Suite of Tools
- Experience using the Atlassian plugin software developer kit (SDK), to create and extend Atlassian applications such as Jira, Service Desk, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Bamboo
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Experience working in a team environment that used Agile principles and methodologies
- Familiar with sustaining mission applications deployed in a Unix environment
- Experience with interacting/training external customers
Minimum Experience Required:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus three (3) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity. OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus five (5) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity OR
- Seven (7) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph Required