Principal-Level Software Engineer
- The Software Engineer shall be responsible for all the Operational and Maintenance (O&M) efforts including installation, configuration, integration, monitoring, and sustaining of a large multi-tenant containerized Kubernetes High-performance computing as a service (HPCaaS) platform for a large Linux computing environment.
- The Software Engineer must be detailed oriented, have strong organizational skills, and excellent troubleshooting skills to include the identification and resolution of issues, problems, and trouble tickets related to the same. In addition, the Software Engineer must has experience working in small teams and self-directed.
- Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements.
- Debug existing software and correct defects.
- Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features.
- Write or review software and system documentation.
- Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
- Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories.
- Has experience with agile development processes.
- Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
- Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Design and development of relational and non-relational database applications.
- Use of orchestration frameworks such as Spring and Kafka.
- Familiarization with queue management systems
- Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards.
- Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
- Develop software solutions by analyzing system perfonnance standards and conferring with users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
- Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance
- Design, develop, and modify software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions
- Java development using the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
- Development of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications
- Experience using collaboration and software development tools (ie. Atlassian).
- Software development using continuous integration practices
- Experience with container technologies (ie. Docker).
- Unix shell scripting
- Development of event driven or data driven analytics
- Development of cloud-based solutions and technologies.
- Design or implement complex algorithms requiring adherence to strict timing, system resource, or interface constraints. Perform quality control on team products.
- Recommend and implement suggestions for improving documentation and software development process standards.
- Oversee one or more software development teams and ensure the work is completed in accordance with the constraints of the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Confer with system engineers and hardware engineers to derive software requirements and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements, and interfaces.
- Coordinate software installation on a system and monitor performance to ensure operational specifications are met.
- Recommend new technologies and processes for complex software projects.
- Serve as the technical lead of multiple software development teams.
- Select the software development process in coordination with the customer and system engineering.
- Ensure quality control of all developed and modified software.
- Delegate programming and testing responsibilities to one or more teams and monitor their performance.
Technical Skills Required:
- Experience using the Linux CLI
- Experience developing and maintaining scripts using Bash/Python
- General HPC technical knowledge regarding compute, network, memory, and storage system components
- Experience installing, configuring, and supporting COTS/GOTS/FOSS software, libraries, and packages in a Linux environment
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker and containerd
- Experience with container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes
- Experience administering Kubernetes clusters on bare metal in a Linux environment
- Experience with IaC (Infrastructure as Code) concepts, principles and automation tools such as Ansible and Terraform
- Experience with Git Version Control System
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Linux Foundation CKA Certification
- Familiar with Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) principles and applications
- Experience with the Atlassian Tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence)
- Experience with CI/CD principles, methodologies, and tools such as GitLab CI
- Experience using system monitoring tools such as Grafana/Prometheus
- Experience with OpenID Connect and OAuth2
- Experience creating documentation using UML 2 / BPMN
Minimum Experience Required:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus ten (10) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
- OR Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus twelve (12) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity
- OR Fourteen (14) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph Required
A culture of people with a passion for technology, career growth, and training
- Humble, smart, and a consultative approach to how we serve our mission customers. To us, is not about bragging and "rock star engineer" status.
- If you love technology, learning, and growing in your career, we'd make a great team.
- ProObject was one of the first software engineering companies (many moons ago), that put our money where our mouth is: Robust training ($5250 per year) and certifications for all of our team members.
AWS Select Consulting Partner
- As an AWS select consulting partner, we have tons of training and certs with AWS if you're ready to get into cloud engineering and expand your career.
Family-oriented, family-feel, and respect for your time
- We're a family-owned company and we care about all of our employees. The difference is easy to see with us compared to other firms.
- We also don't believe in concepts like "work-life integration." For us, we believe in balance and support for your "outside of work" life. We respect that time.
- Comp time available
- Care about certain causes? We care about what our employees are into. Matching contributions and special events to make our community better
A Top Workplace, year-over-year
- Our staff and the Baltimore sun ranked us a top workplace for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021.
- That's cool but if you want to hear it right from our team, setup a no pressure meet 'n greet with some of our team actually doing the "rollup the sleeves hard work" and get to know us! We promise good coffee and the real scoop for what it's like working at ProObject.