Mid-Level Storage Engineer
- The Senior Data Storage Engineer is responsible for the technical planning, integration, verification and validation, and effectiveness for total systems.
- Identify incidents, diagnose and resolve problems, and assist with storage usage and features.
- Perform reliable, secure backup and recovery across the enterprise in accordance with all applicable policies and procedures.
- Manage multiple file storage clusters, enforcing quotas on storage limits where required. Create and manage multiple security groups to ensure least-privileged access to program data.
- Create and update documentation for backup procedures, solutions, licensing and applicable project artifacts.
- Perform weekly tape rotations to off-site facilities from multiple locations.
- Identify and manage support issues; coordinate communications between local groups and multiple vendor support staff to resolve complex issues.
- Provide technical expertise to junior personnel. Provide periodic, informal, on-site knowledge transfer, as needed, to other Storage Team members covering the management, normal operation, and maintenance of the backup infrastructure.
- After-Hours or call-in support is a possibility.
- Ten (10) years experience in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity is required (experience in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity within the Federal Government is preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline from an accredited college or university is required. Five (5) years of additional system administration experience may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
- Provides detailed analysis and feedback to agency management and internal customers for escalated tickets
- Configures and manages UNIX and Windows operating systems and installs/loads operating system software, troubleshoots, maintains integrity and configures network components along with implementing operating systems enhancements to improve reliability and performance
- Provides in-depth experience in trouble-shooting IT systems
- Provides support for the dispatch system and hardware problems and remains involved in the resolution process
- Optimizes system operations and resource utilization, and performs system capacity analysis and planning
- Provides support for the escalation and communication of status to agency management and internal customers
- Provides Tier 1 (Help Desk) and Tier 2 (Escalation) problem identification, diagnosis and resolution of problems
- Provides support to IT systems including day to-day operations, monitoring and problem resolution for all of the client/server/storage/network devices, mobile devices, etc.
- Provides Tier 1 (Help Desk) problem identification, diagnosis and resolution of problems
- Manages the daily activities of configuration and operation of IT systems
- Provides support for implementation, troubleshooting and maintenance of IT systems
- Provide assistance to users in accessing and using IT systems
Technical Skills Required:
- Strong understanding of Symantec NetBackup.
- Ability to develop solutions to complex technical problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly present technical details, approaches and findings.
- Working knowledge of all NAS/SAN protocols and how to implement.
- Experience working in a backup environment using NetBackup software supporting multiple operating systems.
- Experience performing data restores and troubleshooting failed backups.
- Experience with backup hardware including tape libraries, tape drives, and media management.
- Experience configuring and managing a fiber channel environment.
- Experience with disaster recovery planning and implementation strategies to best mitigate the impact on business operations.3
- Experience administering Windows 7, 10 and RHEL.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, often high-stress, environment.
- Must able to lift / carry 40+ pounds
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Experience with multiple storage devices including NetApp, Isilon, and Dell / Compellent.
- Experience with Quantum and Dell backup hardware.
- Experience with Cisco MDS fiber-channel switches.
- Experience with VMware and configuring backend storage for virtual machines.
- Experience with Cisco UCS and IBM Blade Chassis systems.
Minimum Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of experience required. Additional 4 years of experience in lieu of degree or additional 2 years with Associates degree.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph required