- Assist a product suite in implementing a large-scale accessibility (508) initiative. Provide SME-level expertise to existing development teams to properly implement accessibility /508 enterprise standards in a consistent manner across the suite of products. Work with the UX Lead to ensure all accessibility changes maintain a consistent user experience. Conduct regular accessibility (508 compliance testing of each product in the suite using enterprise standards and best practices to determine an accessibility score, demonstrate progress towards accessibility and provide feedback to development teams on additional areas of improvement. The Accessibility Software Engineer is responsible for developing and applying advanced approaches and technologies to solve critical technological problems within the context of collaboration, information sharing, and accessibility for the 508 program.
- Provide SME-level expertise to existing development teams to properly implement accessibility /508 enterprise standards in a consistent manner across the suite of products.
- Use software engineering best practices to develop and integrate accessibility solutions or develop new solutions and customize COTS or open source software.
- Conduct accessibility/usability evaluations, remediate accessibility issues and develop accessibility alternatives to problems.
- Develop new solutions to accessibility issues including scripts to fix accessibility issues
- Understand users’ needs and how they affect software development.
- Make recommendations for acquiring or implementing collaboration and accessibility solutions.
- Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements
- Debug existing software and correct defects
- Provide recommendations for improving documentation and software development process standards
- Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features
- Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments
- Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories
- Write or review software and system documentation
- Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project
- Design or implement complex database or data repository interfaces/queries
- Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards
- Assist with developing and executing test procedures for software components
- Develop software solutions by analyzing system performance standards, confer with users or system engineers; analyze systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigate problem areas
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance
- Design, develop and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design
Technical Skills Required:
- Experience with GIT, Eclipse, Maven, Linux, JIRA, Confluence
- Leadership, Process Management
- Business process analysis
- Experience working in an Agile environment and leading a small development team
- 508 experience with MPO customer
- Experience implementing 508 (accessibility) standards
- Knowledge of IT accessibility requirements, including 508 standards, law and policy; and
- Familiarity with the other components of the Rehabilitation Act
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Experience testing with JAWS
- Knowledge of GWT
Minimum Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in System Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Engineering Management, or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. Five (5) years of additional system engineering experience may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
- 7+ Years of experience as a Software Developer
- 3+ years of direct experience with Java
- TS/SCI with Polygraph Required