Mid-Level Network Engineer
- Provides assistance in all aspects of network management from network design through implementation, maintenance and upgrading of existing networks; specification, and related documents and implements communication system requirements to support the distributed functionality of a software engineering environment;
- Analyze network characteristics (e.g. traffic connect time, transmission speeds, packet sizes and throughput), troubleshoots problems and recommends procurement of, and/or modifications to network components.
- Primary emphasis on Cisco Systems, and at least some Juniper and IBM BladeCenter (SwitchModule) experience.
- Need to be our authority with all network issues and tuning.
Candidate must be willing and able to:
- be on-call 24×7
- mission critical (Agency Code Red required)
- interface with agency and non-agency sites via emails/phone to walk them through hands-on troubleshooting
- work flexible hours, staying until the job is completed (mission is restored)
Technical Skills Required:
- Experience in developing networks from design through implementation;
- Experience with Cisco IOS or JunOS or equivalent;
- Experience in configuring multi-vendor network equipment; Experience with network test gear and testing network equipment;
- Experience in configuring NAT and Routing Protocols;
- Experience with Ethernet Trunking and configuring Ethernet VLANs.
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Linux skills would be a plus
Minimum Experience Required:
- Ten (10) years’ experience in a technical role in projects and programs for Government or Industry customers with:
- Eight (8) years’ experience as a Network Engineer in programs that encompass system architecture, requirements analysis, process execution and evaluation;
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields: Communications Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems or Mathematics
- TS/SCI with Polygraph Required