Junior Software Engineer (Python, Golang, Linux)
- Contractor staff will develop software Tools and Services and maintain multiple instances of the software services that makes up the software service. Expertise in containerized landlord/tenant environments is essential. Contractor staff will support the development of Tools and Services that increase the efficiency of software development and sustainment efforts across the high performance computing environment. Staff will be dual hatted. Staff will not only perform software engineering functions, but also support the user community, through on-boarding and education activities regarding the use of the platform and the services created by the team.
- Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements.
- Debug existing software and correct defects.
- Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features.
- Write or review software and system documentation.
- Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
- Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories.
- Has experience with agile development processes.
- Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
- Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Design and development of relational and non-relational database applications.
- Use of orchestration frameworks such as Spring and Kafka.
- Familiarization with queue management systems
- Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards.
- Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
- Develop software solutions by analyzing system performance standards and conferring with users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
- Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance
- Design, develop, and modify software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions
- Java development using the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
- Development of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications
- Experience using collaboration and software development tools (ie. Atlassian).
- Software development using continuous integration practices
- Experience with container technologies (ie. Docker).
- Unix shell scripting
- Development of event driven or data driven analytics
Technical Skills Required:
- Demonstrated software development experience using Python
- Experience with Golang
- Demonstrated experience developing in a Linux environment
- Demonstrated experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience building Web APIs and RESTful services
- Experience with core services and service library
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Experience using microservices (Preferably Docker, Kubernetes, RedHat OpenShift and Helm) strongly desired
- Demonstrated domain knowledge in distributed systems (cloud-based technologies)
- Demonstrated understanding of the core software development lifecycle
Minimum Experience Required:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university. OR Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus two (2) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity OR Four (4) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph Required