Apprentice Level Software Engineer (Java, XML, Linux)
- This position will require the candidate work as a software developer, software integrator, and data analyst as part of a team that applies disciplined processes, techniques, and tools to transform a software design into functional software. The position also supports problem resolution and analysis of schema-based data validation flows.
- Specific duties include:
- Performing software development, integration, test, and analysis support to deployed systems, and documentation to meet requirements.
- Developing and debugging web based user interfaces
- Developing software as necessary to integrate components to facilitate testing and development
- Valuing simple and readable code over clever, more difficult to maintain code.
- Adhering to accepted standards for development in a continuous integration environment, including writing unit tests which provide a high percentage of code coverage, participating in peer code reviews, conducting design reviews, and generating test plans to ensure maximum stability and quality of code.
- Working with development, test & configuration management tools.
- Collaborating with customer development and test team organizations and personnel to plan and execute integrated activities.
- Candidates must have good interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Design and code new software or modifies existing software to add new features
- Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements
- Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments
- Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories
- Make recommendations for improving documentation and software development process standards
- Debug existing software and corrects defects
Technical Skills Required:
- Expertise in Java and scripting languages such as Ruby
- Experience working in a team software development environment
- Understanding of schemas (XML, XSD)
- Knowledge of mission systems
- Proficiency in Linux (demonstrated in work experience)
- Knowledge of software design patterns, algorithms, and commonly recognized good coding practices
- Familiarity with code development, test and configuration management tools such as JIRA, Hudson/Jenkins, Git or SVN
- Experience writing and updating software development-related documentation in accordance with approved quality standards
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Experience with agile methodologies.
- Understanding of network and telecommunications protocols, data streaming, databases, and data servers
Minimum Experience Required:
- No demonstrated experience is required. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. Four (4) years of software engineering experience on projects with similar software processes may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. Four (4) years of additional software engineering experience on projects with similar software processes may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph Required