Apprentice Level Software Engineer (C++, Unix)
- The Software Engineer designs, develops, tests, deploys, documents, maintains, and enhances complex and diverse software systems based upon documented requirements. These systems might include, but are not limited to, processing intensive analytics, novel algorithm development, manipulation of extremely large data sets, real-time systems, business management information systems, and systems which incorporate data repositories, data transport services, and application and systems development and monitoring.
- Works individually or as part of a team.
- Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results.
- Resolves software problem reports.
- Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment.
- Provides specific input to the software components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Open Source Software (OSS) and/or Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Government Off-The-Shelf (GOTS) software in place of new development, and requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual software components.
- Experience developing in UNIX.
- Ability to perform shell scripting.
- Working knowledge of Configuration Management (CM) tools and Web Services implementation.
- All capabilities of a Level 0 SWE.
- Has experience with agile development processes.
- Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
- Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Design and development of relational and non-relational database applications.
- Use of orchestration frameworks such as Spring and Kafka.
- Familiarization with queue management systems
- Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards.
- Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
- Develop software solutions by analyzing system performance standards and conferring with
- users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
- Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance
- Design, develop, and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions
- Java development using the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment
- Development of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications
- Experience using collaboration and software development tools (i.e. Atlassian).
- Software development using continuous integration practices
- Experience with container technologies (i.e. Docker).
- Unix shell scripting
- Development of event driven or data driven analytics
Technical Skills Required:
- Within the last 2 years, demonstrated experience developing in C++ in a Unix environment
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Experience writing scripts using Bash/Python
- Experience with using the Unix command line
- Experience with the Atlassian Tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence)
- Familiar with Agile development best practices
- Familiar with using JSON as a lightweight data-interchange format
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
- Experience with container orchestration technologies such as Swarm, Helm, Kubernetes
- Experience developing RESTful services
Minimum Experience Required:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or University, plus two (2) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity OR
- Four (4) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
- TS/SCI with Polygraph Required