The Software Engineer develops, maintains, and enhances complex and diverse software systems (e.g., processing-intensive analytics, novel algorithm development, manipulation of extremely large data sets, real-time systems, and business management information systems) based upon documented requirements. Works individually or as part of a team. Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results. Resolves software problem reports. Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment. Provides specific input to the software components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Commercial Off-the-shelf (COTS)/Government Off-the-shelf (GOTS) in place of new development, and requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual software components.
- Provide software development support.
- Develop solutions for mission problems using open source and GOTS tools.
- Ensure component development is done in a repeatable way using concepts such as containers.
- Develop all applications according to the organization’s coding standards and within the organization’s frameworks utilizing PKI, database, web development, and application security.
- Provide documentation and training for all components as needed.
- Use sound software engineering principals to ensure that all developed software is modifiable, efficient, reliable, understandable, and fault tolerant.
Technical Skills Required:
- 3 years of experience with Java/C++
- 3 years of experience with Object Oriented Programming
Special Technical Skills Desired:
- Experience with open source frameworks for containers, resource management, messaging, etc, including but not limited to: Kubernetes, Dockersh, Docker Compose, Logspout, Docker Swarm, Google Container Engine
- Experience with dev/ops techniques and tools including continuous integration and deployment
- Experience translating analytic needs into functional code
- Experience with one or more of the following languages: Python, Go, Perl, Ruby
- 3 years of experience with SQL databases
- Web development experience
- Experience with HTML, CSS, LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
Minimum Experience Required:
Seven (7) years of experience in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity is required. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. Four (4) years of additional software engineering experience on projects with similar software processes may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.